The wii gaming device came earlier to university. Since first hacks, the wiimote became an opportunity for learning and discovering computer and system engineering. Thus, several courses use it as a support for experiment or as a case study.
Computer Engineering – Practical courses (cours wiimote à l’université)
[Computer Engineering - Wiimote drop (Iowa State University – U.S.A.)]
As seen in the video, the wiimote entered in university courses :
- The Wii Remote and You (lang.: eng.)
CHI 2009 Course Notes LaViola, Kruijff, Bowman, Poupyrev, Stuerzlinger – Department of computer science, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, U.S.A
- Extract from 2nd year course program of Ecole des Mines de Paris 2009 (applied mathematics) (lang.: fr.) – Europe (France)
2. Training in Immersive Environments (Serious Game)
As well as games, 3D motion is useful for trainings in Immersive Environments (so-called serious games)
- Cost Effective Ultrasound Imaging Training Mentor for use in Developing Countries (lang.: eng.)
Llyr ap Cenydd 1, Franck P. Vidal 1, Nigel W. John 1, Derek A. Gould 2, Elizabeth Joekes 2, Peter Littler 2 1 Bangor University, Europe (UK) 2 Royal Liverpool University NHS Trust, Europe (UK)
- Wii Transrectal Ultrasound Simulator (lang.: eng.)
Sweet, Fulgham, Parekattil, Shen, Chitvala University of Minnesota, U.S.A.
3. HCI and Control Engineering courses
The Wiimote covers many interesting problems in control engineering :
- Multimodal interactive systems (lang.: fr.) – courses from Ecole de Technologie Supérieure – Québec University - Canada
LOG 350 – Conception et évaluation des interfaces utilisateurs (Cours sur IHM)
- Physical computing : a course(8physcomp.pdf) (lang.: fr.)
(trans. : Une présentation de cours sur l'interaction Homme-Machine )
Pierre Cubaud - CNAM – Europe (France)
- Course Notes about Human Computing Interfaces (lang. fr)
Laurent Grisoni, Department of computer science, Lille University – Europe (France)
- 3D tracking Technologies
Steven Feiner, Department of Computer Science, Columbia University, New York, U.S.A.
- Project (University) : The lawnmower powered by the wii
[The lawnmower powered by the wii]- Project (University) : Wiimote control of robot arm and base
[Wiimote control of robot arm and base]
4. Computer Engineering
- WiiLab Programming in MATLAB - A Research Experience for Teachers at Notre Dame
Juanita Gerard Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Notre Dame, U.S.A.
- Related publication
Jordan Brindza, Jessica Szweda, Qi Liao, Yingxin Jiang, Aaron Striegel Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Notre Dame, U.S.A.
5. Miscellaneous posters and presentations
- Wiimote Lab (presentation)
SKIES project, Colorado State University, U.S.A.
- Various application with the wiimote
Sung Jun Bae , Mike Wozniewski, Zack Settel, and Jeremy Cooperstock Shared Reality Lab - Centre for Intelligent Machines, McGill University, Canada
6. other links
An interesting project from Arizona State University : A Laser Guided Cane
[The Laser Guided Cane - senior design project EE]